Growing up my gran used to bake gingerbread for us all the time. It is something that reminds me of warm autumn days by the pool. She recently shared the beloved recipe with me, so I thought I would share I with you.
1 cup syrup
¼ cup milk
1 cup water
3½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1½ tsp cinnamon
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and grease a loaf tin.
2) Place butter and syrup in a bowl and melt together in the microwave.
3) Measure out all the dry ingredients (except the bicarbonate of soda) into a mixing bowl.
4) Add the melted butter/syrup mixture as well as the milk and water to the dry ingredients.
5) Beat the egg well and add to the mixture.
6) Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in a little boiled water and add to the mixture. Mix the batter one more time.
7) Pour the mixture into you prepared loaf tin.
8) Bake for 1 hour. Test with a needle pierced through the center of the loaf. If the needle comes out dry it is ready. Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin.
This gingerbread is great at any time of the day. Serve spread with a little butter. It is also great toasted.