I am a bonafide olive fan. All kinds of olives all kinds of ways. But honestly green olives have been at the bottom of my favs list for a while. That is until I tried these lemon marinated green olives. Here is how you can easily make them at home.
Lemon Marinated Green Olives
– 100g green olives in brine
– 1 giant clove garlic
– 1 small orange/yellow pepper
– 1 small lemon
– ½ tsp fennel seeds
– 1 small red chilli
– sprig of rosemary
– ± 1 cup of olive oil
– sealable jar
1) Drain the olives out of the brine and rinse thoroughly under fresh water. Allow to drain while you prepare the other ingredients.
2) Cut the pepper into cubes and fry lightly in a little of the olive oil. You want the pepper to still have a little crunch. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely.
3) While your peppers are cooling peel the zest from the lemon and slice the garlic.
4) Once the peppers have cooled mix the olives, peppers, lemon zest, garlic and fennel seeds in a bowl. Squeeze the juice of half the lemon over the mix.
5) Fill your jar with the olive mix and insert your rosemary sprig and chilli.
6) Now cover your olives with olive oil. Make sure none of them are poking out. Allow to marinate in the fridge over night and up to one week.
These guys are best served tapas style with delicious breads, cheeses and cold cuts…yum!
(Side note: this recipe is slightly adapted from the marinated olive recipe in the Ideas Magazine March 2013 edition)